The Final Goodbye

I reach out to touch your hand,
Only to feel you flinch.
It's as though my fingertips
Are a scalding hot flame.
I remember the first time
We held hands.
You were so nervous
That your hands were sweaty.
Mine were too.
You were so embarrassed,
And having never held a girl's hand before,
You pulled away.
I didn't know why you let go,
So I was hurt.

But I know why you're letting go now,
Not only of my hand but of my heart.
I know I deserve it,
And that makes it worse.

I look at you and ask
"What are you thinking?".
You shake your head and say
"It's silly",
Which only makes me want to know more.

You say: "I'm just guessing what you're thinking."
"What do you mean by that?"
"You're probably thinking something dramatic.
Something like

Those eyes that used to look at me
With so much love

Now look at me
With emptiness"
.

You know me so well.

I deserve for you to look at me
And feel nothing.
It hurts because I'm in the wrong,
And you've always been
My Mr. Right.

So now I feel the same,
As I always have.
But you don't care.

You're perfect.

I love you. I'm sorry.

Goodbye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old friends

No light